Watermelon Wine Recipe
Makes 1 gallon.
- 2 quarts watermelon juice
- 2 quarts water
- 1.5 pounds sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons acid blend
- 1/8 teaspoon tannin
- 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
- 1 Campden tablet, crushed and powdered
- 1 package wine yeast (good for up to 5 gallons of juice)
- The starting specific gravity (SG) is 1.085.
- Cut melons into quarters, remove all rind parts entirely and discard seeds. Cut meat of melons into cubes.
- Using nylon straining bag, mash and squeeze out juice into primary fermentor. Keeping all pulp in primary, tie bag and place in fermentor.
- Stir in all other ingredients except the yeast. Cover the primary fermentor.
- After 24 hours, add yeast. Cover fermentor.
- Stir daily and check specific gravity.
- When ferment reaches specific gravity of 1.040 (after 3-5 days), lightly press juice from bag. Siphon wine off sediment into glass secondary fermentor and attach airlock.
- When fermentation is complete (specific gravity has dropped to 1.000, in about 3 weeks), siphon off sediment into clean secondary fermentor and reattach airlock.
- To aid clearing, siphon again in two months and again if necessary before bottling.